custom organic synthesis

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sun Jan 28 12:46:29 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/microbiology #1690, from pandoc at ix.netcom.co, 1035 chars, 19
Jan 1996 00:21:46
> ----------
> Article: 2637 of bionet.microbiology
> From: pandoc at ix.netcom.com(charles mccarthy )
> Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
> Subject: Re: custom organic synthesis
> Date: 19 Jan 1996 00:21:46 GMT
>
> In <v01530500ad245e5b1147@[134.192.46.73]> klewis at UMABNET.AB.UMD.EDU
> (Kim Lewis, PhD) writes:
> >
> >I am looking for a company that would do custom-synthesis of organic
> >molecules.  Places like Aldrich charge a minimum of 5,000 per
> synthesis.
> >Does anyone have information on companies that do custom synthesis
for
> >more reasonable price?
> >Kim Lewis
> >

> Contact Dr. Deim Le at LE Research Inc.
> St. Paul, MN
> (612-730-7797)

Custom synthesis is highly speculative. When you contact a firm you may
find that the $5000 is a sum required to SEE IF THEY CAN DO IT, not a
guarantee of supply, supply to specs of purity may come extra. It is
always possible that what you want is impossible. Some years ago I
needed chain labelled (carbon -14) polyvinyl alcohol. Problem was that
beta radiation was a sure way of getting uncontrollable polymerisation
of the vinyl monomers - so the firm could not guarantee any
mol.wt.specs. Just tough.
Peter Harris,
Dept of Soil Science,
University of Reading, UK.