Info on Culture of Soil Microbes?

K N and P J Harris ecoli at
Sun Jun 2 03:15:36 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/microbiology #3168, from bkay1 at, 826 chars, Tue  28 May
1996 02:07:52
> ----------
> Article: 4119 of bionet.microbiology
> Path:!!btnet!!pipex
> !csnews!boulder!!!use
> net
> From: bkay1 at (B.K.)
> Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
> Subject: Info on Culture of Soil Microbes?
> Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 02:07:52 GMT
> Hello:
> I'm interested in making a large (@10L) suspension culture of soil
> microorganism from a soil sample.  Could someone cite a few references
> on this topic or maybe someone has procedures, feedstocks, etc..
> Thanks,
> B.K.
Sorry to sound like the famous Prof Joad (?) but what do you mean by a
large culture - and what is the purpose ? 10L of almost any medium you
care to name - if inoculated with only a few mg of soil will give you a
culture. After even  a few hours, the culture content and balance will
be entirely dependent on the culture medium constituents plus a few
factors like temperature and aeration. In the early stages it will
probably be dominated by Pseudomonads, after a few days the Bacillus
species will loom large. Leave out any traces of organic matter, throw
in a little ammonium and some sulphur (sorry sulfur) and a little
ferrous iron and you can have a bevy of autotrophs. As it stands - your
question attracts the same answer as the question to the accountant "How
much profit did we make?" - answer "What would you like it to be ?"

So - "What would you like it to be ?"
Over and out.

Peter Harris
Soil Microbiologist, UK.