Phage Group

Guy Plunkett III guy at
Tue Jun 18 14:05:42 EST 1996

In article <4q4oa9$26o at>, cwhiteh113 at
(CWhiteh113) wrote:

> Hello,
> I am looking for any information (references, books, journal articles,
> etc.) on the historical aspects of the "phage group" who met during the
> summers at Cold Spring Harbor.  A biography of any members of the phage
> group (Max Delbruck, Al Hershey, or others)  would be especially helpful.

You might want to take a look at "Phage and the Origins of Molecular Biology"
edited by John Cairns, Gunther Stent, and James Watson as a "festschrift"
in honor of Max Delbruck's 60th birthday [1966 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Press]. Also, I think that Tom Brock's "The Emergence of Bacterial Genetics"
[1990 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press] has a good section on the phage
group. Sorry I can't provide more details, but the books are in my library
at home, instead of here in the lab.

Dr.Guy Plunkett III for the E. coli Genome Project
Laboratory of Genetics
University of Wisconsin        Phone: (608) 262-2534
445 Henry Mall                 Fax:   (608) 263-7459
Madison, WI  53706             Internet: guy at

                "Life is too short, and DNA too long."
                  -- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park