Phage Group

richard richardz at
Wed Jun 19 09:51:39 EST 1996

In article <guy-1806961305420001 at>, guy at (Guy Plunkett III) says:
>In article <4q4oa9$26o at>, cwhiteh113 at
>(CWhiteh113) wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am looking for any information (references, books, journal articles,
>> etc.) on the historical aspects of the "phage group"
>You might want to take a look at "Phage and the Origins of Molecular Biology"
>edited by John Cairns, Gunther Stent, and James Watson as a "festschrift"
>in honor of Max Delbruck's 60th birthday [1966 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

The above work is one I would highly recommend, it should be required reading,
for almost every student of molecular biology.  In fact, I don't think
it is truely possible to understand microbial genetics without having read
this work.Phage and the Origins of Molecular Biology provides valuable
insight to  the history/personalities
that established this science.

There is one essay in there that had
special meaning to me as I personally knew the individual and some of the
family members who were mentioned in a vignette.

Folks, if you teach about phage, if you teach about molecular biolgy,
find this book and use it in your classrooms.  IT WILL ENHANCE YOUR