Linux or Unix for multiple sequence analysis?

Gabriel Zwart zwart at
Thu Jun 20 09:06:32 EST 1996

Dear netters,

Linux or Unix
Genetic data environment?

After some strugle we managed to install some nice nucleotide sequence
analysis programs on a LINUX machine (pentium). We are interested in
analysis of rather large numbers of sequences over say 500-4500 positions
(16S/18S rRNA. That is, multiple alignments, probe and primer searching,
phylogeny (Neighbour-joining, Parsimony, Max likelihood?).  Now we have a
chance to apply for some money for improvement.
Question:  Will we gain much by buying a UNIX machine. What sort of
computer would we need? Where can we obtain the Genetic data environment
we keep hearing about. What does it do?

Gabriel Zwart
Rijksstraatweg 6, Nieuwersluis
the Netherlands