Wha tshould students know?

Robin Nicole Dewey snobunni at mail.netacc.net
Thu Mar 14 16:02:37 EST 1996

My two cents on this issue as well:

Academics don't prepare you for work. They prepare you to take exams and
to do rote memorization.

GMP and GLP guidelines are a good thing to learn and stand out on a
resume. You can go to any library at a university and find FDA books on
these subjects.

Learn how to you the instruments in a laboratory. You would be surprised
how many people do not know the proper way to use a spec (how to blank
it!), or a centrifuge (it needs to be balanced!) or a pH meter (it needs
to be calibrated first against standards!) I found that the local
community college has a degree program that taught me better that\n the
school I started out at, which is one of the top scientific schools in
the country! (I won't bad mouth that school, but I do highly recommend
the Biotechnology program at Monroe Community College in Rochester, NY,
headed by Dr. Kathy Lawton. Want more info e-mail me.)

Take as many laboratory instensive courses as you can. Keep the notes.
Many things  that I learned in my micro course did not make sense at the
time, but after looking back on it I can see what we were trying to
learn. Read magazines and journals to keep up to date. Much of the
technology changes frequently. Many biology supply companies put out
catalogs that are better than textbooks! (My personal favorite,
Pierce). And the one thing I find college student often say is "I want to
do research in _________" Well, you do reseasrch in whatever area the
comany that hires you tells you to do. Even a great deal of doctorates
can't pick and choose what research they do.

Of course, none of this is fullproof. I became a victim of corporate
downsizing earlier this week! But it is a growing field, and if you stay
competitive, and don't rely on what the universities teach you, you'll do
okay.

Sorry for being long winded! Any comments, feel free to e-mail me.

Robin