Would bacteriophages kill resistant bacteria?

Oladele A. OGUNSEITAN oaogunse at UCI.EDU
Sat Mar 23 18:52:35 EST 1996

Actually, the cystic fibrosis story is very FUNNY ! - In fact one of the
phages (D3, I beleive) causes a lysogenic conversion for Pseudomonas
aeruginosa, the species that complicates matters for cystic fibrosis
patients. The lysogenic conversion results in increased alginate
production leading to more mucus etc.  Here is a case where untested
phage therapy could lead to further complications of disease.  I wonder
if that really happened to cystic fibrosis patients who inhaled viral

Dele Ogunseitan

Department of Environmental Analysis and Design
University of California