My father isolated the first DNA -Reply

Steven Projan PROJANS at war.wyeth.com
Wed May 29 08:13:39 EST 1996

The following was posted recently:

>>> Petersim <petersim at aol.com> - 5/28/96 12:27 PM >>>
Norman Simmons was nominated for a Nobel Prize for his work. He
isolated the first samples of DNA in the 1950's. Stop in for a visit
at  www.tiac.net/users/perersim/

Thought your members might be interested in a video I produced about
my father who in 1952 isolated the first samples of DNA. He sent
these to
Watson and Crick. He is now 81 years old and still as sharp as ever.
In this video he describes his early work in DNA research. I thought
it might be interesting to other scientists or researchers.  He was
nominated for the Nobel Prize for his work. See a description of this
and other videos at

www.tiac.net/users/perersim/

This is not a commercial message, the video is listed for $49 dollars
on the web site but for members of this news group  I would like to
donate  the video at cost plus postage. If anyone is interested in
the video send me a message at petersim at aol.com.

Let's not carried away with familial pride:

Maclyn McCarty at the Rockefeller University isolated DNA from
pneumococci in 1944 (he even crytalized it) and Avery, McCarty and
McCloud showed that it was the transforming principle (carried
genetic information).  No Nebel was awarded for this work probably
because Oswald Avery died before the Nobel Committee could recognize
this singular acheivment in molecular biology.

Steve Projan
Wyeth-Ayerst Research