Salmonella threat to Vegans?

rockbugs at rockbugs at
Wed Nov 20 09:37:19 EST 1996

In article <56qr8v$g46 at>,
ba600 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Mike Kenzie) writes:

>In another Newsgroup it has been claimed that Salmonella does not occur
>naturally in vegetarian foods, that reported cases have been the result
>contamination by meat products.

Vegetables can also be contaminated by contact with sewage. I read of a
Shigella outbreak in Europe the other year which was traced to lettuce.
The lettuce evidently was harvested after being contaminated in the fields
with sewage-containing floodwaters. Also, "fresh" vegetables served in
some less-developed countries may have been "washed" with untreated water.
Thus, being Vegan does not exempt one from the dangers of food-borne

Kathy Sherlock, MT(ASCP)