The Black Death

Richard Van Frank vanfrank at iquest.net
Mon Nov 18 09:31:30 EST 1996

In article <E0yMs1.K6v at cix.compulink.co.uk>,
   ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk ("K N and P J Harris") wrote:
>> ==========
>> bionet/microbiology #4284, from sb34 at york.ac.uk, 2136 chars, 10 Nov
>1996 06:35:23 -0
>> ----------
>> Article: 5285 of bionet.microbiology
>> From: sb34 at york.ac.uk (Sidsel Barfoed)
>> Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
>> Subject: The Black Death
>> Date: 10 Nov 1996 06:35:23 -0800
>> Sender: daemon at net.bio.net
>>

>>    I have taken the liberty of subscribing to your list even though I
>am not a microbiologist.
>>
>>    My name is Sidsel Barfoed, I am a postgraduate student at the
>Department of History, the University
>> of York, Great Britain. I am writing a dissertation on the Black Death
>in England 1348-50 seen from an
>> epidemiogical point of view.
>>   Too many historians use epidemiological data from the turn of the
>century, and I would like to bring
>> the subject a bit more up to date.
>>   I allow myself to ask you the following questions:
>>
>> 1. Can mutations of Yersinia Pestis take place spontaneously in the
>wild? If so, how long would it take
>> for a mutation to establish itself? I am referring to the following
>articles:
>> - R. Rosquist et al., "Increased Virulence of Yersinia
>pseudotuberculosis by two independent
>> Mutations" (Nature, 1988, 11. August, pp. 522-525)
>> - B. J. Hinnebusch et al., "Role of the Yersinia pestis Hemin Storage
>(hms) Locus in the Transmission
>> of plague by Fleas" (Science, 1996, vol. 273, 19 July,pp. 367-370)
>>
>> 2. According to R. Rosquist et al. Y. pestis has mutated at some point
>of time, thereby increasing its
>> virulence. Is there any way of determining when this mutation took
>place?

I think there is another factor you should consider, that is the resistance of
the host population. Were conditions such in England at that time that you had a
highly suseptable population. This could have been due to many factors such as
living conditions, nutrition etc. etc. A mutation may not have been necessary to
start an epidemic.
RMVF