Help on growing SRB on agar plates

Arul Jayaraman arul at
Sat Nov 23 14:22:25 EST 1996

I am working with sulfate-reducing bacteria (Desulfovibrio vulgaris and D.
gigas). I am having difficulty in growing these bacteria on agar plates/
solid medium. I have tried growing them on Modified baar's medium agar
plates (the medium that ATCC prescribes for growing these bacteria in
liquid cultrues) and on Iverson Medium plates (Trypticase soy agar,
magnesium sulfate and sodium lactate). I incubate the plates in a gasPak
chamber (hydrogen + carbondioxide environment). But growth is very poor. I
appreciate it if anyone can give me suggestions/pointers on growing SRB on

Thank you

Arul Jayaraman
Dept. of Chemical & Biochemical Engineering
University of California at Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-2575
Ph : (714)-509-1060 (H)
     (714)-824-8389 (L)