Blastomyces vs. air bubbles

Michael Kolotila x3887 mkolotila at
Wed Oct 30 16:36:15 EST 1996

Hi Linda;
  One thing about Blastomyces infections is that they only rarely present
on the skin.  That limits the possibility.  Also, air bubbles tend to have
dark periphery when you change the focus.  As a suggestion, if you
temperature switch Blastomyces to the yeast form, take some of the culture
and treat with KOH as you would a skin scraping. You may even want to add
uninfected skin to yeast form and look at it.  Good luck.  Medical
mycology is fun and fascinating.

 Michael P. Kolotila, Ph.D.        * e-mail: mkolotila at
 Biotechnology Program Coordinator *
 Department of Natural Science     * phone     :  508-374-3887
 Northern Essex Community College  * voice mail:  508-374-3644
 Elliott Way                       * fax       :  508-374-3723
 Haverhill, MA  01830-2399         *              508-374-3729
       "A little caffeine is good for the soul."  --David Hamburger