Vincent Mulholland mulholl at
Thu Oct 31 08:49:12 EST 1996

>stutjamalgeo at
>Date: 28 Oct 1996 15:41:09 -0800    Wrote;
>For whoever is qualified to answer me:
>I would like to know what specific Bacteriophages will attack
>Salmonella enteriditis. I am working on the potential antibacterial
>affects of phages against human pathogens.
>Any responses will be greately appreciated
>Thank you
>George T.

I co-wrote a chapter about bacteriophages which includes detailed
instructions on how to isolate phages from the environment. Good
sources include water (pond & lakes, rivers, runoff from agricultural
land), soil, excreta, foodstuffs (including uncooked meat products),
and sewage. This last source is probably the richest.

The reference for isolating your own phage is;

Mulholland, V & Salmond, GPC (1995). Use of coliphage lambda and
other bacteriophages for molecular genetic analysis of Erwinia and
related Gram-negative bacteria. In; Microbial Gene Techniques
(Methods in Molecular Genetics Vol. 6), Adolph, KW (ed). Academic
Press, San Diego. pp. 439-454.
ISBN  0-12-044308-2

Good luck if you decide to isolate your own phages, but remember
someone may have a good collection, perhaps for phage-typing, that
they are willing to share with you.

Vincent Mulholland

Higher Scientific Officer,
Diagnostics & Molecular Biology Section,
Scottish Agricultural Science Agency,
East Craigs,
Edinburgh EH12 8NJ,

E-Mail:	mulholl at