Will atmospheric storage tank for water cause microbe problem?

Doug Rice drice at vines.colostate.edu
Tue Sep 3 09:26:05 EST 1996

In article <3227E241.798F at ultranet.com> Marc Andelman <drgonfly at ultranet.com> writes:
>From: Marc Andelman <drgonfly at ultranet.com>
>Subject: Will atmospheric storage tank for water cause microbe problem?
>Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 23:57:05 -0700

>Hi.  I am designing a whole house water treatment system that needs
>a 300 Gallon atmposheric storage tank for the treated water.  Will this
>grow microbes and cause a problem?  Is there a cheap way around this,
>such as hanging a UV light in it?

>Thank you in advance.

>Marc Andelman

Good Morning Marc,

Any time you store water, you risk the possibility of contamination.  If the
system is totally sealed, and there will never be a possibility of flushing
"untreated" water into the tank, you may be o.k.

The least expensive "cure" would be to have a recycle route on the tank where
the clean water can be run back throught the system if it does become
contaminated.  Circulating water stays cleaner than stagnant water.  UV will
not work since the light will not penetrate very far into the water of a large
tank.  Ozone bubbled into the tank would be the best option.  This can be
expensive and dangerous (high electricity) but will keep the tank and the
distribution lines relatively free of bacterial contamination.

Good Luck,
Doug

Douglas A. Rice
CSU-Environmental Quality Laboratory Director
Applied microbiology of food, air, water and soil.
drice at vines.colostate.edu
voice:  (970) 491-6503
"Moderation is for Monks, take big bites out of life."
--Lazarus