Microscan-E. coli/Shigella

faon rodriguez vulnificus at msn.com
Tue Sep 3 05:18:40 EST 1996

I have come across the same problem in my lab. My sugestion is to
rely on two things when dealing with shigella and salmonella. Number
one is serological typing should corresonpond with biochemical id.
profile. Number two, the use of sodium acetate should differentiate
the two.
I recently published an article in the Lab. Medicine magazine from
ASCP August issue about Microscan misidentifying vancomycin resistant
lactobacillus casei as vancomycin resistant Enterococcus faecium.
Here again we became aware of the problem because we confirm all
vancomycin resistant Enterococci via genprobe. Faon at msn.com

Cape Canaveral Hospital
SR 520 Causeway
Cocoa Beach Fl 32932