Will atmospheric storage tank for water cause microbe problem?

Enigl enigl at aol.com
Fri Sep 6 15:01:41 EST 1996

In article <drice.56.322C3FFD at vines.colostate.edu>,
drice at vines.colostate.edu (Doug Rice) writes:

>  Circulating water stays cleaner than stagnant water.  UV will
>not work since the light will not penetrate very far into the water of a
>large
>tank.  Ozone bubbled into the tank would be the best option.  This can be

>expensive and dangerous (high electricity) but will keep the tank and the

>distribution lines relatively free of bacterial contamination.

I agree UV will not work.  Ozone has a lot of problems too.  Since the
system is small,  why not just heat the storage tank with a gas fired hot
water heater or steam heat exchanger.  (I once used a domestic hot water
heater from SEARS and a CPVC recirculation loop.)

Have you ever tried to culture anything out of your own hot water pipes at
home?  I have.  Even using R2A, membrane filters,and 7 days at room temp.
I got <1 CFU/1000 mL.  And, that was only at 140F.  The source water
contains chlorine and so should yours.

Davin

Davin C. Enigl, MS-MEAS, President-Microbiologist
HACCP Validations-sm  Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points for the
Food, Cosmetic, Pharmaceutical, and Nutritional Supplement Industry
Voice: (916) 989-8264,  Fax: (916) 989-8205,  Pager: (714) 725-7695
9040 Erle Blunden Way
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
September 5, 1996
4:37 pm