RODAC Plates

Austin Reade areade at nsrfc.ns.ca
Thu Sep 12 10:50:45 EST 1996

In article <5175sv$21o at paperboy.ids.net> rand777 at ids.net writes:
>From: rand777 at ids.net
>Subject: Re: RODAC Plates

>In Article <515fa7$afh at test-sun.erols.com>
>sjchiles at vt.edu (sarah) writes:
>>In article <32338A78.5F86 at sprynet.com>, bbbbd at sprynet.com says...

>>>        I was wondering what RODAC plates are. What does the name stand
>>for,
>>>and how are they used?
>>>        Is this a differential medium? If so, what characteristics are
>>differentiated?
>>>        I need this information since I am a Teaching Associate for a
>>general
>>>Microbiology lab class.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Louis Geller
>>>CSU Long Beach

There are alternatives to RODAC plates for microbiological sampling of
surfaces.  Two are the 3M Petri-film media and Biotest Hycon contact slides.
Both are available with a number of different media.  The biotest, for
example, has slides with  non-selective,  blood-enriched, coliform, and
yeast & mold media.  We have used the 3M's in total count, total coliform and
E. coli formats.
Austin Reade, Microbiologist      Phone:    (902) 424-8670
Innovacorp                        Fax:      (902) 424-4679
101 Research Drive, PO Box 790    Internet: areade at nsrfc.ns.ca
Dartmouth, NS, Canada  B2Y 3Z7