alcohol

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Wed Sep 18 10:37:38 EST 1996

On 18 Sep 1996, Nicholas Landau wrote:

> Ethanol can be produced very cheaply, if you have enough biomass
> to ferment.  Brasil, which is a major producer of cane sugar,
> operates its cars on inexpesnive ethanol.  The use of ethanol fuel
> isn't feasible in most temperate countries for two reasons.  The
> first is that we do not make enough fermentable biomass (we would
> need to import cane.)  The second is that ethanol has a lower vapor
> pressure than does gasoline, and only vaporizes effectively in the
> carbourator at tropical temperatures.
>
> I do believe that the use of ethanol in American fuel is an attempt
> to control air pollution.  The Clean Air Act requires that motor
> fuels contain a certain fraction of oxygen, and so ethanol is added
> to get the oxygen content up to legal standards.
I would like to respectfully disagree. Here in Albuquerque, due to the
geography of the city ( a river valley surrounded by a mountain on one
side and Mesas on the other) we have a horrible problem with smog in the
winter. Starting the end of October to the middle of May, all gas is sold
with ethanol in it. This is due to an attempt to reduce air pollution.

Cheers,
Linnea