Coliforms???

Chris Venema chrisv at adam.com.au
Thu Sep 19 02:36:24 EST 1996

With todays rate of increase in name changing of bugs and classifications
I'm wondering if anyone can give me a current definition of a coliform?
Besides being oxidase negative, non spore forming, lactose fermentive
gram negative bacteria.

Also are any of the following classed as coliforms Serratia, Hafnia,
Kluyvera, Leclercia, and Adecarboxylata. I have heard that some Hafnia
are classed as coliforms and some are not???

As a bonus question does anyone know what the differences between E.coli
and E.coli inactive are besides one being lazier than the other.

Thanks in advance for any info.