autoclave protocols

Austin Reade areade at nsrfc.ns.ca
Fri Sep 20 09:21:05 EST 1996

In article <51t764$8hn at newsbf02.news.aol.com> amarki at aol.com (Amarki) writes:
>From: amarki at aol.com (Amarki)
>Subject: autoclave protocols
>Date: 20 Sep 1996 00:39:32 -0400

>Is it really necessary to maintain an autoclave log in a QA/QC
>microbiology laboratory?  I am a new graduate with a degree in
>microbiology and just recently accepted a job as an associate
>microbiologist in a pharmaceutical company.  I have worked with other
>laboratories who were either regulated by CLIA or EPA that do require log
>books for autoclave.

>I would appreciate references to my inquiry.

Our microbiology laboratory has been audited by QMI (an ISO auditor);
Agriculture Canada (Ag Can);  Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Canada
(DFO), auditing to US FDA shellfish sanitation guidelines; Canadian
Association of Analytical Environmental Laboratories (CAEAL).

The score so far with respect to autoclave usage logs:

QMI		no comment
Ag Can		keep record of each load
CAEAL		no comment
DFO		definate requirement

Austin Reade, Microbiologist      Phone:    (902) 424-8670
Innovacorp                        Fax:      (902) 424-4679
101 Research Drive, PO Box 790    Internet: areade at nsrfc.ns.ca
Dartmouth, NS, Canada  B2Y 3Z7