Money

Andre Burnens BURNENS at VBI.unibe.ch
Fri Sep 20 20:05:44 EST 1996

Guido Schonkeren wrote:

> Taking 5 minutes to read what follows can change your life :
>
>   I saw an article in an internet newsgroup telling me I could
>   make $50,000 within a month for an investment of only $5.
>
>   I thought it  was a huge joke. I spoke  to my wife, attorney
>   and friends about  it, and they all agreed it  was some kind
>   of scam. I  can't stand scams, because  usually someone gets
>   burned, and I didn't want it to be me. Of course, I rejected
>   the idea at  first. after a short period of  about two weeks
>   ,I thought  : "I have already  heard of such things.  But on
>   the Internet ?!?!? ". I decided  that even if I had to throw
>   5$ into the fire, I wouldn't  mind it that much, and gave it
>   a try .After all I needed a LOT more than five dollars.
>
>   Two weeks  later, I began  receiving money in  the mail!   I
>   could not believe it! Soon, hundreds,  and then thousands of
>   dollars began to  roll in. Within 4 weeks, I  had received a
>   total of $32,445!  It came from everywhere in  the world. My
>   bank account has changed its "-"  into a big "+" (++++)!!!,I
>   bought myself a car and things I wanted for a long long time
>   for my wife and kids!
>
>   If you follow the three steps  below, there is no reason why
>   the  same shouldn't  happen  to you!  This  is a  legitimate
>   investment  opportunity. You  invest $5,  and you  receive a
>   return on  your investment. So  does the next  investor. NOT
>   ILLEGAL, NOT A CHAIN LETTER- PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE.
>
>   If  you  are not  interested,  then  don't participate,  but
>   please print this article and pass  it on to someone who may
>   be interested, so they can take advantage.
>
>   The procedure is simple: 1) Write your name and address on 5
>   sheets of paper.   Below that, write the  words, "Please add
>   me to  your mailing  list." Fold  $1 note  or bank  draft or
>   money order  in each  piece of  paper and  mail them  to the
>   following 5 addresses.:
>
>   1. Bill Brown
>      148 South Downlen #796
>      Beaumont, Tx. 77707     USA
>
>   2. Olivier Arcadipane
>       237 rue Francois Andre
>       7390 Quaregnon       BELGIUM
>
>   3. Josef Malzer,
>      Brandhof 1
>      4701 Bad Schallerbach
>      EUROPE - AUSTRIA
>
>   4. Josh Jones
>      8012 Edgewood Dr.
>      Ham Lake, MN         USA
>
>   5. Guido Schonkeren
>      van de Hoopstraat 21
>      9716 JL Groningen
>      the Netherlands      EUROPE
>
>   2) Now remove the top name from the list, and move the other
>   four names up. In other words,  #5 becomes #4 and so on. Put
>   your name as the  fifth one on the list.   Use a simple text
>   editor such as  Notepad,  in your   "accessories" window (If
>   you have  MS-Windows),or DOS  editor.   In fact,  any editor
>   will do.
>
>   3) Post  the article to at  least 200 newsgroups.  There are
> [...]

This is a perfect example of a chain letter-type of action. It should be
prohibited on the net as much as it is elsewhere.

For those not fluent in maths: just try to imagine what will happen
after 11 rounds. Over nine billion (!) postings would be required to
keep the system going. More than the whole population of the world!
Assuming that every single human being even in the remotest areas of the
world has access to the net, the system will have broken down by then.
Those at the end of the chain will thereby inevitably lose their money.
Initial returns from this type of systems tends to be high only in the
first few rounds (and for the first few participants), so your
personal experience is entirely misleading.

Finally, the most interesting aspect of your message is the precise
estimate of the number of fools which can be made, assuming that on an
average 5 out of 200 favorably reply to your postings. I am sorry, but by
not participating I will limit the success of _your_ investment. However,
even five Dollars is too much for what this is worth trying.
--
Andre P. Burnens MD
Institute for Veterinary Bacteriology, University of Berne