Jelly beans

Tim Legerton info at prozyme.com
Fri Sep 20 19:26:06 EST 1996

Xaran <n1387308 at sparrow.qut.edu.au> wrote:

>I was wondering about a particular friend of mine who seems to have the
>capability of being able to turn glucose into alcohol!
>	After eating a packet of jelly beans this particular gentleman
>actually does exhibit the effects of drinking alcohol and actually has a
>blood alcohol reading despite not drinking any.
>	Is it possible that he has as part of his natural microflora oa
>fermentative microbe that produce the ethanol and thus affecting him as it
>passes through the small intestine.
>	Thanks- Xaran.

I read of a case like this in the newspaper 10 years ago or so (sorry-
no reference).  The affected person had this problem for many years
and had a hard time convincing anyone that he wasn't sneaking drinks
to produce the blood alcohol that was being observed.  It finally
turned out that he was found to have a yeast somewhere in his gi tract
that was the culprit.  I can't remember any other details, but I think
at the time it was the only known instance of this.  Good luck!

Bruce Amsden