Rickettsiales of freshwater crayfish

Cassandra Harper cassandra.harper1 at jcu.edu.au
Mon Sep 23 11:32:16 EST 1996

I am involved in preliminary investigations of a Rickettsiales first
discovered in a histological survey of Cherax quadricarinatus (Australian
freshwater crayfish) in North Queensland farms in early 1992.  I have
been able to purify the organism from infected crayfish homogenates and
need some help with quantitating the dose in infection trials. So does
anyone know of a method of counting viable rickettsiae in a smear of
purified organism? I have tried some vital stains but it is very
difficult to see the bacteria. One paper mentioned a Malassez cell for
counting bacteria?

Any help anyone could give would be great.

Cassandra Harper BSc
Department of Microbiology
James Cook University of North Queensland
Townsville, Qld, Australia.

Email: Cassandra.Harper1 at jcu.edu.au
Telephone: (077) 814 268
Fax: 077 791 526