P.aeruginosa minimal media recipie ??

Oladele A. OGUNSEITAN oaogunse at UCI.EDU
Mon Sep 23 16:35:24 EST 1996

The following scientists have worked extensively on P. aeruginosa.  You
may wish to consult their publications:

Bruce Holloway (Australia)
Robert V. Miller (USA)
Patricia Clarke (England ?)

I have successfully grown P. aeruginosa in the same minimal medium used
for E. coli (check the Molecular Cloning Manual by Sambrook et al.).  I
have also grown P. aeruginosa in the following minimal medium:

containing in g/L double distilled water.

sodium nitrate	4.0
potassium phosphate monobasic 	1.5
sodium phosphate dibasic	0.5
ferric chloride hexahydrate	0.0005
calcium chloride dihydrate	0.01
magnesium sulfate heptahydrate	0.2
supplement with carbon source e.g. glucose at 2.0

Preferred growth temperature is 37 degrees centigrade with maximum aeration

The broth culture may be greenis due to fluorescent pigment production to
scavenge limiting nutrients.

The pellet is typically pinkish in color.

Good luck!

-Dele Ogunseitan
Department of Environmental Analysis & Design
University of California
Irvine CA 92697-7070

Telephone: (714) 824-6350
Fax: (714) 824-2056