P.aeruginosa minimal media recipie ??

Michael Kertesz kertesz at micro.biol.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 24 11:15:41 EST 1996

mpage at molbiol.ox.ac.uk wrote:

> Can anyone tell me of a good minimal medium for P. aeruginosa PAO1 ? I am
> having trouble growing it on simple media. Am I right in thinking that PAO1 is
> prototrophic? Or is amino acid / vitamin supplementation neccessary? What sort
>  of growth rate should I expect compared to that on rich media?

I just use a simple Tris-based minimal medium for PAO1, and get
generation times of about 50 to 60 minutes. However, I HAVE found that it
sometimes tends to go "clumpy" if you're not shaking it hard enough, so I
routinely add 40 micrograms/mL of all the natural amino acids (just to
help it along). It's not auxotrophic, though - it IS quite capable of
making them itself if it has to..!!

regards
--

Michael Kertesz