Formaldehyde removal of Cyanide

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 12:52:10 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/microbiology #3838, from murray at molbiol.uct.ac.za, 890 chars,
Fri  20 Sep 1996 15:52:25
> ----------
> Article: 4819 of bionet.microbiology
> From: murray at molbiol.uct.ac.za
> Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
> Subject: Formaldehyde removal of Cyanide
> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 15:52:25
>
> Hi
>
> I am having problems with an assay I am trying to set up and have
discovered
> that formaldehyde rapidly removes cyanide from the reaction.  As
cyanide is
> one of my principle components of the assay I would greatly appreciate
if
> someone would be able to explain this mechanism to me.
>
> Thanks for the assistance
>
> Murray Gardner

You should check that the formaldehyde is really "removing" the cyanide
rather than simply interfering with the determination of cyanide.
Formaldehyde is sometimes very reactive. Many decades ago when such
things as quantitative Nesslerization was used for ammonium
determination I had a load of problems because formaldehyde reacted much
more readily with Nesslers reagent than did ammonium! We had a similar
problem with nitrate not so long ago when it looked as if we had found a
good nitrification inhibitor - we hadn't -just a good interference with
nitrate measurement.
Peter Harris,
Dept of Soil Science,
The University of Reading, UK.