A problem culturing luminous marine bacteria in the lab can anyone help!

trimby at cf.ac.uk trimby at cf.ac.uk
Wed Sep 25 10:53:43 EST 1996

Hi
I'm trying to work with marine luminous bacteria, vibrio harveyi/fischeri
and photobacterium phosphoreum. The problem is in the culturing/storage I
have tried a few types of medium none of them give satisfactory results
either the bacteria dont't luminesce or luminesce for short periods.
I'm making up 'seawater' using 'Instant Ocean'(obtained from the local
pet shop) a mixture of salt designed to produce the proper environment
for fish etc. with a few other nutrients. I'm using a hydrometer to mix
up the right amount of salt.

Does anyone have a successful tried and tested method of culturing
luminescent marine bacteria in the lab, if so please help!

Thanks for any info.

Andrew Trimby

Med Biochem
UWCM