Help Please

Enigl enigl at aol.com
Wed Sep 25 15:38:14 EST 1996

In article <52bl8i$tm at agate.nbnet.nb.ca>, Brian Hoyle <brianh at gov.nb.ca>
writes:

>frank pavlick <fpavlick at 204.255.212.10> wrote:
>>Is their anyway I can make agar from household products?

A very heavy Knox Gelatin can be stable at room temperature (<28 C).  The
water activity is low and will not grow all bacteria, but should grow the
more tolerant yeasts and molds.  Yeast and mold are incubated at room
temperature.  Gelatin will liquify at higher temperatures.  Only agar is
economical (so far).  It is a polysaccharide (galactan) from red algae.

Are you sure you want to re-invent agar?  Why not just buy some?

It was discovered by Dr. Robert Koch's (Koch's postulates) assistant
(Walter Hesse) who got it from his wife who's grandmother used is in the
tropics to keep jams and jellies stiff under the hot climate.

Davin

Davin C. Enigl, MS-MEAS, President-Microbiologist
HACCP Validations-sm  Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points for the
Food, Cosmetic, Pharmaceutical, and Nutritional Supplement Industry
Voice: (916) 989-8264,  Fax: (916) 989-8205,  Pager: (714) 725-7695
9040 Erle Blunden Way
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
September 25, 1996
1:20 pm