Enterohaemorrhagic E.coli in Japan

Tim Williams 106341.1671 at CompuServe.COM
Tue Sep 24 14:07:56 EST 1996

I am preparing a talk to a group of local microbiologists on
enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC).  The local newspapers
in the UK have recently been reporting a large outbreak of
haemorrhagic colitis in Japan. I have been unable to find much in
any recent  medical journals and would appreciate any information
about this outbreak.
in particular :

Was E.coli proved as the cause?

If so, was the strain E.coli 0157 (Either 0157:H7 or O157:H-)

Was the source of infection found ? The reports I read suggested
radish sprouts had been implicated.

Was the outbreak centred in any particular area of Japan?

Are final figures available for number of cases and incidence of
complications such as HUS.

If anybody can help with this information, or indicate a recent
reference , I would be extremely grateful.

Please excuse any inadvertant breaches of etiquette in the above.