chlamydia psittaci -- diagnosis in humans

'Gavia immer' Deborah Wisti-Peterson nyneve at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 26 14:18:50 EST 1996

In article <324A9C8A.DEC at infect.dmed.iupui.edu>,
Diane R. Stothard <dianes at infect.dmed.iupui.edu> wrote:
>'Gavia immer' Deborah Wisti-Peterson wrote:
>>
>> how is chlamydia psittaci diagnosed in humans? how is
>> it diagnosed in humans that have been exposed to this
>> organism but are asymptomatic?
>>
>> thanks for your responses.
>>
>> --
>>    Deborah Wisti-Peterson          email:nyneve at u.washington.edu
>> Department of Zoology, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash, USA
>>     Visit me on the web: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~nyneve/
>> =-=-=-Graduate School: it's not just a job, it's an indenture!=-=-=
>

>Chlamydia psittaci is not a human pathogen. It infects birds and other
>animals. Chlamydial human pathogens include C. trachomatis which causes
>trachoma and is the agent of the sexually transmitted disease, and C.
>pneumoniae.

chlamydia psittaci is a zoonosis. it is capable of infecting
humans and other mammals. if left untreated in humans, it has
a 20-23% mortality rate. people that are exposed to infected
birds can become ill with this disease, although human-to-human
transmission has never been documented (to my knowledge).

   Deborah Wisti-Peterson          email:nyneve at u.washington.edu