autoclave protocols

Lorri Robinson robinson at avana.net
Sat Sep 21 21:50:01 EST 1996

At the lab I used to work at, we kept 32 different sets of data, which cross
referenced together to form a complete picture of our media prep and autoclave
use. In the Media Prep book, we noted what we made, when, how much, the lot #
and mfr of the media, which autoclave load it was run under, and who made it.
Our Media QC book used a separate sheet for each type of media, on which was
noted the batch (mmddyy made), how much, how dispensed, how QC'ed, results,
and the analyst's initials. Our Autoclave Record book detailed on a separate
page for each day the run #, what was in that run, time, temp, pressure, and
result of control (a Kilit ampule). We ran a Kilit ampule in every run, and
once a week did a positive QC on the ampules themselves to make sure they
worked--toss one in the 59C incubator.

Our lab was a private consulting lab and was peered at by EPA, APHA, USDA,
USP, FDA, and AOAC. We believed in overkill. Makes those auditors love you if
you do it, and they'll eat you for lunch if you don't.

Be sure you keep 2X daily incubator temps, with calibrated thermometers
immersed in liquid, and placed on a top shelf and a bottom shelf. Auditors
like to hit you there, too....

Lorri