A problem culturing luminous marine bacteria in the lab can anyone help!

rfsmith at deltanet.com rfsmith at deltanet.com
Mon Sep 30 02:30:17 EST 1996

In article <DyApHJ.E7x at cf.ac.uk>, trimby at cf.ac.uk wrote:
>Hi
>I'm trying to work with marine luminous bacteria, vibrio
harveyi/fischeri
>and photobacterium phosphoreum. The problem is in the
culturing/storage I

	I've always had trouble culturing those dudes, but my
brother Mick seems to have a knack for getting bugs of all types
to grow.  He isolated lumenescent bacteria routinely from squid
and ocean fish.  Make sure the animals haven't been packed in ice,
though.  It kills the bacteria.

		NH4Cl  0.1 gm
		K2HPO4  0.5 gm
		MgSO4   0.01 gm
		glucose  0.4 gm
		H2O    100 ml

		Adjust pH to 7 with HCl, then supplement with
0.05gm of arginine prior to autoclaving.

	A complex medium can be prepared as follows:

	yeast extract  0.2%
	peptone   0.8%
	glycerol  2.0%
	NaCl	3.0%

	The organisms grow on this medium with a doubling time of
33 min at 31C if the medium is aerated.  These organisms may also
grow well on BHI with 3% salt.  All this info is from notes my
brother sent me many years ago when I was in college.
Lumemescence is a function of exposure to air, so swirling a flask
culture will cause it glow brightly for a few minutes and then dim
down.