microbiology experiment

enevold.falsen at alinks.se enevold.falsen at alinks.se
Sun Apr 13 06:02:50 EST 1997

It may be convenient for students to use Internet, but requests
of this kind should be avoided.

You surely face 1 000 000 different species of bacteria.
The CCUG has probably examined >2000 different organisms during
30 years - and we se at least two new (=unpublished) organisms
per week.

Since you have been able to cultivate the organisms, you may rule
out 99% of the names, and since you teacher knows the answer, the
number of names to consider is <1000 if you teacher is a
taxonomist, and <100 on a lower level.

Schools often use Micrococcus luteus and Serratia marcescens, but
you are not talking about pigment ? A teacher will probably avoid
Staphylococcus ?

Gram+ cocci  -> try catalase and anaerobic incubation
Gram-,motile,oxidase- -> Enterobacteriaceae (Escherichia coli ?)
Try indol

and take a look at www.ccug.gu.se. The names are surely there !

E.F.

      Dear Micro genius:

             I am desperatly in need of help with my Unknown microorganisms.
  I have A) Gram positive cocci     B) Gram negative rods
I have gone so far as to identify the Gram- to be Motile, Oxidase-.
I would like to know what other tests are necessary to identify the exact
microorganism. Please Write me back  ASAP . My  experiment is due on Tue.

                                                        Thank you so much for
your help

                                                                   Sincererly

                                                                  Micro
student

****** CCUG = Culture Collection, University of Goteborg ******
CCUG Curator: Enevold Falsen, Civ.ing.   Voice: +46.31.60 46 25
Guldhedsg 10, S-413 46 Goteborg, Sweden    Fax: +46.31.82 54 84
Download the catalogue on Internet at            ftp.ccug.gu.se
Strains - Identification - Information: Email:ccugef at ccug.gu.se