Bacillus species!!!

Roy Goodacre rrg at
Fri Apr 18 12:45:39 EST 1997

In article <5j3vs7$iv3 at> YoungSA at AgResearch.cri.nzspam (Sandra Young) writes:

>In article <3354e03d.0 at>, nout <nout at> wrote:
>>I'm starting a new project with Bacilus species, they have been isolated
>>from African fermented foods. If anybody knows cheap and reliable methods
>>to identify them please tell me. I'm right now thinking about some
>>molecular methods, API tests, and other kind of tests for sugars... but
>>I'm not sure what's the best. All opinions are wellcome.

>If you are certain the isolates are Bacillus species you could try this

>Logan NA and Berkeley RCW, (1984) "Identification of Bacillus strains using
>the API system."  Journal of General Microbiology. 1984, 130: 7, 1871-1882

>The authors identification of Bacillus species is based on spore morphology
>and the carbohydrate tests in API 20E and API 50CHB strips.

I can recommend this route (especially having done my PhD with Dr Berkeley)
and also tried this on B. stearothermophilus.  It is relatively cheap, approx
£10 per sample although you will have to check with API (API-bioMerieux Ltd,
Grafton Way, Basingstoke, Hamps Tel +44 (0) 1256 461881).

E-mail: rrg at