eggs safety

Karl Roberts kr1 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Fri Apr 18 06:14:19 EST 1997

Dear Bernie (and Jeff),
	About one of every three egg producing chickens is likely to be
infected by Salmonella.  As to entry, the organism can penetrate the
still-soft egg shell while it is still forming in the chicken.  Birds and
reptiles can harbor and pass this genus easily through such a route,
since they pass eggs, urine and feces all through the same area, called
the cloaca (Latin for "sewer").  It is not suprising then that they can
serve as reservoirs.  However, as  the last posting by our helpful food
microbiologist friend pointed out, one should not be overly paranoid (I
was raised on a farm myself, and eggs were rather fresh and plentiful) as
long as proper food handling and common sense cleanliness is maintained.
So, cook 'em and eat 'em. Hope this helps.
Joe