Help required with Sulphate-reducing bacteria

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 12:46:53 EST 1997

> ==========
> bionet/microbiology #5687, from nick.parham at bbsrc.ac.uk, 855 chars, 17
Apr 1997 05:19:52 -0
> ----------
> Article: 6724 of bionet.microbiology
> From: nick.parham at bbsrc.ac.uk (nick parham)
> Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
> Subject: Help required with Sulphate-reducing bacteria
> Date: 17 Apr 1997 05:19:52 -0700
> Sender: daemon at net.bio.net
>
> Does anyone know how to successfully sub-culture Sulphate-reducing
bacteria
> from agar shake (Postegate's medium E) isolation to broth or agar
plates of the
> same medium?
>
> My e-mail address is:-     nick.parham at BBSRC.ac.uk
>
> Thankyou for your help,
>                        Nick Parham
Hi Nick,
Not tried this myself but I could make a guess that the broths and
plates have a tendency to be more oxygenated than the shakes that were
originally used. Could you try keeping the broths and plates under
anaerobic conditions immediately after preparation until needed. If they
get aerobic (never mind the chemical "buffers") then you could have
problems with "lurkers" from the shake cultures that were simply waiting
for more congenial conditions.
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,
The University of Reading. U.K.