bioremediation

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 12:46:45 EST 1997

> ==========
> bionet/microbiology #5686, from cnyonya at FSAS.UPM.EDU.MY, 932 chars, 14
Apr 1997 02:39:31 -0
> ----------
> Article: 6723 of bionet.microbiology
> From: cnyonya at FSAS.UPM.EDU.MY ("BKM/Che Nyonya Abd.Razak ",
Prof.Madya.Dr)
> Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
> Subject: bioremediation
> Date: 14 Apr 1997 02:39:31 -0700
> Sender: daemon at net.bio.net
>
> i'm currently working with hydrocarbon degradation by soil bacterial
> isolates. I'm having problems with its analytical methods mainly in
> monitoring and assessing degradation rate. Can anybody help me out in
> this area other than using radiometric method. Secondly how do we
> prepare sample prior to analysis by GC for hydrocarbon ( BTEX & crude
> oil). TQ.
I would have thought that pyrolysis mass spec would be applicable if
radioisotopes are not viable. The output should be pretty different from
most normal soil constituents. If you want to look for microbial
tech way in) than try using dehydrogenease (TTC) methods as these are
pretty good at spotting a soil response to very small amounts of
available substrate. The soil will need to be anoxic though.
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,
The University of Reading,
U.K.