Microbiological hazards of "whirling"?

Nancy Hamlett Nancy_Hamlett at hmc.edu
Fri Apr 25 13:08:54 EST 1997

I am a faculty member at small college, which has a tradition I find
appalling.  Students who have a birthday, high-score an exam, or
have otherwise notable achievements are "whirled".  "Whirling"
consists of inverting the victim, sticking her his or head into the
bowl of toilet and flushing the toilet.  This tradition is deeply
ingrained in the student culture; however, our students are open to
persuasion by objective data.  Does anyone have an data or know of
any sources that might have data relevant to the microbiological
hazarads of whirling?

Nancy Hamlett
Professor & Chair
Department of Biology