help identify this enterobacteriaceae

Stephen D Lord slord at uoguelph.ca
Mon Aug 11 11:13:39 EST 1997

In other words... Please do my homework for me.

Gregory D. Rose (gdrose at mail.exploremaine.com) wrote:
: I am stuck.  Trying to identify my unknown in medical microbiology
: class.  Have it narrowed to maybe.. thats MAYBE two organisms:  E. coli
: and Proteus Vulgaris.  My results have not been overly convincing
: however.  Here goes.

: Medium sized gray colonies with white center, alpha hemolytic on BAP
: It ferments lactose (purple colonies with green sheen on EMB)
: TSI was acid/acid no gas, no H2S produced
: SIM was + + +  (very positive for H2S here but negative on TSI)
: Urease negative
: Pdase negative
: Citrate negative
: Lysine negative