Freezing and salmonella?

Enigl enigl at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 08:45:07 EST 1997

In article <5sofk1$7j4$1 at node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net>, "J. McGrath"
<jmcg at frontiernet.net> writes:

>   Microorganisms are often stored (with some preparation) in liquid
>nitrogen (which is at least 200 degrees F below zero) for months to
>years!  Unless their is a "cold sensitive" strain I doubt that this is
>true

There can be a "freeze-reduction" of some coliform bacteria
(_Enterobacter_) developed for some--not all--diary products by my
university.  The conditions are -20F but only a one log reduction in 30
days i.e., D-value = 30 days at -20.  However, to my knowledge,
_Salmonella_ is not validated for this procedure in any product.

------------------------------
Davin C. Enigl, MS-MEAS
(Master of Science=Master of Environmental Arts and Sciences)
Sole Proprietorship,  President-Microbiologist
Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Research and Development

Co-author of _Preservative-Free and Self-Preserving Cosmetics and Drugs_,
Kabara and Orth, eds.
Copyright 1997, Marcel-Dekker, ISBN 0-8247-9366-8

Microbiology Services for:
Biotechnology, Cosmetics, Foods, and Pharmaceuticals

Water System Design and Validation
Preservative Formulation and Stability Testing
FDA Validation Protocols
Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)  Audits
Facility Start-Ups
Microbiology Training

Web Site:  http://members.aol.com/enigl/

August 12, 1997