Bell's Palsy vs. Lyme Disease

Glen Tamura gtamura at u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 19 13:46:58 EST 1997

Karen:

Bell's palsy is facial nerve paralysis. As such, it is not really a
disease, but a symptom. Many cases of Bell's Palsy are "idiopathic" (i.e.
cause unknown). The Lyme spirochete (Borrelia burgdorferi) can cause a
variety of neuropathies, including facial nerve paralysis. Hence the
physician's connection between Bell's Palsy (a symptom) and Lyme Disease
(a particular infection).

Glen Tamura, M.D., Ph.D.