irgasan

Enigl enigl at aol.com
Thu Dec 4 20:28:08 EST 1997

<<
Can anyone tell me what irgasan is and what it is used for in
PIA(Pseudomonas Isolation Agar)?? >>

It is an antimicrobial that kills mostly gram positive bacteria (so it will not
kill _Pseudomonas_ very well if at all).  It is used to stop gram positives
from over running _Pseudomonas_.   It is also used extensively (DP-300 or
DP-3000 I forgot the trade name)  to kill (primarily) _Staph. aureus_ on the
hands.  I have designed several products using it, you may have seen some of my
products.  In the market it is used as a medical office hand scrub made for/by
various different companies.   I wrote part of a book about how to reduce the
use of this product and still get the kill (see 2. below).

------------------------------
Davin C. Enigl,  Microbiology Consultant,
MEAS-Master of Environmental Arts and Sciences.

1.  Discovered heat resistance in mold: _Talaromyces trachyspermus_ (Published
w/USDA)

2.  Co-author (with Kent M. Sorrells), Water Activity and Self-Preserving
Formulas,
In:  _Preservative-Free and Self-Preserving Cosmetics and Drugs_, Kabara and
Orth, editors.  Copyright 1997,
Marcel-Dekker, ISBN 0-8247-9366-8, Telephone: 1-800-228-1160

3.  Water System Design and Validation for FDA regulations

4.  Preservative Formulation and Stability Testing

5.  FDA Validation Protocols: aseptic, sterilization, laboratory methods

6.  Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)

7.  Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)  Audits

Web Site:  http://members.aol.com/enigl/

December 3, 1997
9:22 pm PACIFIC