Isolating B. cereus

Tim Steffens tims at uidaho.edu
Wed Dec 10 10:14:16 EST 1997

In article <m.steven-0812970809430001 at 137.154.40.231>, m.steven at uws.edu.au
(Alexandra Steven) wrote:

> In article <66c46e$tma$1 at node2.nodak.edu>, ballanty at badlands.NoDak.edu
> (John A Ballantyne) wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I was wondering if someone could recomend a protocal to isolate B. cereus
> > from mouse fecal droppings.
>
> Australian Standard method uses enrichment in TSB + polymixin and plating
> onto PPEMBA - very pretty "peacock blue" colonies on lime green agar!
> Vicki

Try using MYP, Mannitol Yolk Polymyxin B, agar (a standard method for
detecting B. cereus in Foods). There is a commercial formulation from
DIFCO. It is both selective and differential for B.c. (i.e. Polymyxin B
resistant, no mannitol fermentation, and lecithinase positive).

--
Tim Steffens                      | The tragedy of life doesn't lie
   Lab. Matrls. Super.            | in not reaching your goal. The

 Phone (208) 885-8953             |e-mail:  tims at uidaho.edu
 Fax   (208) 885-6518             |         Sturff (AOL)