Burkholderia

Chris Fields cjfields at jove.acs.unt.edu
Fri Dec 12 03:03:04 EST 1997

Also, many fundamental differences were noted between the bacteria now
classified as Burkholderia and Pseudomonas.  In my field (pyrimidine
metabolism), Burkholderia is more like the enteric bacteria than a pseudomonad.

Gary Lum wrote:

> Cynthia wrote:
>
> > Why has Pseudomonas cepacia, mallei and gladioli been reclassified out of
> > the Pseudomonas group??What is this based on?
>
> They (including _B. pseudomallei_) were in the same RNA group within
> genus _Pseudomonas_.  It was decided to break up this system and this
> group was renamed with the genus _Burkholderia_.
>
> Regards
>
> Gary
>
> --
> Dr Gary Lum
> Director of Microbiology and Pathology
> Royal Darwin Hospital
>
> Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity
> Meet me at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~glum/
> Come and visit http://www.ozemail.com.au/~agar
> E-mail me at mailto:glum at ozemail.com.au

C. J. Fields
Graduate Student, Dept. of Biological Sciences
The University of North Texas
Denton, TX

email : cjfields at jove.acs.unt.edu
"Giving money and power to government is like giving
 whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"
    -P. J. O'Rourke
"Join the military.  Travel to exotic places, meet
exciting people, then kill them"
    -Anonymous