Archaea and Translation initiation: ref. needed

Anders Gorm Pedersen gorm at cbs.dtu.dk
Mon Feb 3 08:03:19 EST 1997

I'm posting this for a friend:

In a microbiology textbook (Brock et al.) I have read that Archaea
(just like eukarya) use methionine for initiating protein synthesis,
not N-formyl methionine as in Bacteria.  Some lecture notes found on
the WWW confirm this, but without giving any explicit reference.  If
any of you know a reference which could be cited for this particular
piece of information, please tell me.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Any answers or pointers can be send to my email (gorm at cbs.dtu.dk) or to
this group, and would (as mentioned) be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Anders

Anders Gorm Pedersen                        Phone:  (+45) 45 25 24 84
Center for Biological Sequence Analysis     Fax:    (+45) 45 93 48 08
Technical University of Denmark             e-mail: gorm at cbs.dtu.dk
Building 207, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark

		WWW: http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/gorm/home.html