Lactobacillus Acidophilus in Sugar

Scott M Williams smwilliams at wwisp.com
Mon Feb 24 22:57:39 EST 1997

Pardon me, but it seemed to me that this might be the perfect place to find
out whether table sugar is harmful to Lactobacillus Acidophilus one of the
bacillus that is necessary for human digestion.

I've heard rumor that the sugar in frozen yogurt or ice cream would kill
the Lactobacillus Acidophilus.  But it would sure make life easy for me if
this isn't true.

I need to start giving suplements of this to my 4 year old son because of
an antibiotic treatment he's having to take.  He doesn't like plain yogurt
or milk and if I force him to take it as medicine he'll probably get even
more turned off.

If anyone can tell me definitively whether table sugar can really and
substantially destroy these bacilli, i would be very grateful.

Direct any e-mail to:

scottw at alacare.com (work)
smwilliams at wwisp.com (home)

Thank you for any help you see fit to give.

Sincerely,

Scott Williams
Birmingham,  AL