Detecting Human Pathogens ? Is there a kit?

Alexander Jason ajason at
Sun Jan 5 17:04:16 EST 1997

I need advice:

I am attempting to conduct a small experiment to determine the
presence of common human pathogens on various surfaces.
Since I do not have a lab, I would like to know the most efficient and
practical method of culturing and identifying microorganisms. Would it
be best to send swabs to a lab somewhere or is there a kit which would
allow me to do this "in house" ?

I would also appreciate learning the approximate costs associated with
a kit or lab service (I'm doing this by myself.)

Alexander Jason