Microbial fingerprinting of a mixed population

j.r.stephen mbi071 at sysc.abdn.ac.uk
Tue Jan 21 12:19:00 EST 1997

quiddity at tiac.net wrote:
: In article <32DEF1E3.5C6 at civil.ubc.ca>
: Alex DUmitrescu <adumit at civil.ubc.ca> wrote:

: > Hello,
: > I'm looking for others working with fingerprinting techniques for highly
: > mixed, natural populations. I am currently employing BIOLOG assay plates
: > to assess the biochemical fingerprint of populations from sewage
: > processing systems...specifically anaerobic fermenters (my thesis area).
: >
: > 						Cheers,
: > 						Alex.
: hi there,
: there's also a PCR based technique called RAPD used for highly mixed
: cultures... in case yr unaware.
: Cheer- A

: q
: tia

Try:

 Muyzer, G.
, E. C. De Waal, and A. G. Uitterlinden. }{\fs24\lang1033
1993. Profiling complex microbial populations by denaturing gradient gel electro
phoresis analysis of polymerase chain reaction-amplified genes coding for 16S rR
NA. Appl. Environ. Microbiol.

If you want to try a mol. biol approach.

Let me know if you want any more refs