Medical Lab technican

safran safran at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 19 19:29:30 EST 1997

Matthew/Jocelyn Anderson <andersons at NOTsprintmail.com!> wrote in article
<5o4ce9$fbe at newsfep3.sprintmail.com>...
> Hi all...
> I have been a lurker in this newgroup for a while, and now I need some
> guidance from what seems to be a group of well educated, distinguished
> people...
> :)
> I live in the state of Texas and my local JC offers a medical laboratory
> technican associate in applied science degree.  According to the course
> catalog, upon successful completion of this program, graduates are
> eligible to take the National Board of Registry, administered by the
> American society of Clinical Pathologists.
>
> Ok, so my question is, if I took this course of study,  and passed the
> board, what type of work would I be eligible for?  I am married to an
> Army sgt and live a pretty nomadic lifestyle, but I would like to pursue
> a career in the medical field... I have considered nursing also, but
> when I took micro, I was so interested in the subject that I have
> considered following it to some sort of career.
>
> Would this AS serve as any type of step stone for me, since I have to
> get my education in bits and pieces as a result of my husband's
> career...
> -- thanks...
> ****JOCE****
> email is andersons at sprintmail.com

I am a Medical Technologist, which is the four year degree version of a
Technicians.  Technicians are eligible to work in hospital labs and clinics
doing all sorts of testing.  We have technicians doing chemistry, blood
counts, immunology, and microbiology.  It is adaptive to a nomadic
lifestyle if you are a wuick learner.  There is a large variety of
instruments and methodologies out there and you would be required to learn
how each lab does things when you start.  If you are quick on the pick up
there are all sorts of opportunities to work full time, part time, pool, or
temporary.  As for a stepping stone, it is possible to advance but not
easy.  Normally technologists are chosen ahead of technicians for
promotions to supervisor of higher administration.  It is difficult to move
from being a technician to a technologist without getting a four year
degree.  Check with the American Society for Clinical Pathologists and they
can tell you exactly what criteria you need to meet.  Good luck!
					Tracy