Magnetic Effects

"Uncle Al" Schwartz UncleAl0 at
Mon Mar 3 18:26:56 EST 1997

Robert Harman wrote:

> Strictly speaking the radio frequency waves were produced as a sort
> of low frequency ionizing radiation, but the kind of atoms whose electron
> shells would allow for high frequency emissions (like gamma rays) don't
> exist in significant quantities in the human body.  (I worked over last
> summer in the NMR lab at Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, doing an
> analysis of NMR in systems undergoing complex chemical exchange.  I'm
> secondary author on a paper on the subject that should be published by the
> end of this year.)

RF isn't ionizing - it doesn't have the energy/photon.  One hopes to god
you didn't diddle with humans, and the referees set you bungee jumping
with your own small intestine.
> : For the curious: As I remember this,  gamma radiation is defined as
> : radiation from nuclear events and things like particle destruction.
> Yeah, that'd be one source.  Gamma rays are just ultra-high frequency
> photons.  Compared to alpha or beta radiation, they're pretty harmless.
> Which is a good thing, given the fact that we're bathed in them pretty
> constantly by sunlight.

Alphas and betas are easily shielded.  Gammas are real trouble.  The
atmosphere is equal in mass/area shielding power to at least 76 cm of Hg
- that's about a meter of lead.  The sun is not a source of gamma
radiation - its a few billion kelvins too cool.

> |     R Michael Harman, Student of Omniscience     |
> | rmharman at ---- talk r at |
> |       |

Christ, he's an academic.

Alan "Uncle Al" Schwartz
UncleAl0 at ("zero" before @)
 (Toxic URL! Unsafe for children, Democrats, and most mammals)
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"  The Net!